Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 13: San Simeon

8am - Woke up to pack up everything
9am - Went to our free breakfast buffet which was pretty good
10:30am - We check out and pack up our car.  Somehow, things fit less and less in the car.
11:30pm - We pass into California!  No welcome sign to be seen... :(

12:15pm - We stop in Barstow, CA to eat lunch.  We ate at Costa Azul - I got a chile relleno with a taco and pin got a huge burrito.

As my mom warned me, at some point, there was an agricultural inspection check point at Rt15.  I blatantly had a houseplant wedged between the 2 front seats and a cactus in the front cupholder.  We were stopped.  I was really worried he was going to make me throw out my plants, but he just looked at my houseplant - felt the leaves to make sure it was real, poked in the dirt to check for bugs, and asked questions as to where it had been prior to my car.  After asking us 2x if we had fruit - (we did, but we said no...I through the apples out later) and glancing at the back of my packed car, he let us through! 

During this drive, we were going through the Mojave Desert.  Needless to say, it was super sunny and hot, and a pretty uncomfortable drive all around.  I wouldn't really recommend it.

It didn't get better until we got past El Paso de Robles (Paso Robles), which began wine country.  We also passed to Wasco, which seems to be rose country - this weekend there will be the festival of roses there - we will miss it! 

As we neared closer to Cambria, we were driving up in the mountains (though only 1700ft elevation) and looking to the left and front, we actually saw that we were above the cloud line!  It was so beautiful because it looked like white water, and the mountain tops were islands. 

6pm - In Cambria, we were actually in the clouds, which was really cool and cold.  After filling up gas ($3.79/gallon!), we took a detour towards the coast and drove through a beautiful little neighborhood.  Turning down a side street, we found it was a dead end - right to the coast line!  There was an aptly marked sign saying "END" and we realized we had exactly made it to the Pacific Ocean!  A little bitterswe7et as it means we are very near the end of our journey...

6:30pm - We arrive at our hotel and check in.  We ended up getting a room that is more like 2 ajoined rooms each with a queen bed.  We walked down to the shore and it was so foggy!  It was kinda gross though because there were millions of these little sand colored jumping bugs in the washed up seaweed.  THere were lots of beautiful rocks though and I collected a bunch.  Pin went and hunted down some paper towels to wrap them up in.

7:45pm - It was finally getting pretty dark so we walked back up the hill to the Best Western's restaurant called Cavalier.  I saw they had butternut squash ravioli and immediately new what I wanted.  Pin ordered the fettucini alfredo which was really good.

9pm - Since we missed out on the pool at the MGM Grand, we wanted to go to the heated outdoor pool at our San Simeon hotel.  We run out in the freezing cold. Pin tries the water out and its warm at first until he puts his whole body in.  It doesn't look warm enough to me so I decide I don't want to go in.  Pin is not happy with this!  He has to jump out of the water and we run back to our room.  He pretty much ran straight into our hot shower.

10pm - We play a game of Elections - I win.

Distance Traveled: coming soon
Total Distance: coming soon
$ Spent: $146.08
Total $: coming soon

1 comment:

  1. you guys are going to Monterey/Carmel, right? It's really pretty there!

    ReplyDelete